List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] Re: [OT] Sound in Mandrake (was: Re: Commercial development)
From:       Stelian Iancu <stelian.iancu () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-04-03 13:19:26

vailima@chilitech.net wrote:

> May not be a LINUX problem, could be owner/operator initiated :-)
>
> I have a Dell Latitude CPi 300MHz laptop with 128KRam. Mandrake v9.0
> is the operating system.
>
> The sound crystal in the machine is supposed to be the equivalent of a
> soundblaser pro card.
>
> When in root and using sndconf both the crystal type and the
> soundblaster pro selections show and attemts to get one or the other
> to operate - just doesn't occur.
>
> For now it's got me stumped but odds are that sooner or later and by
> trial and error (T&E) I'll stumble on the answer.:-)

I am beginning to think that, these days, the major problem with various
soundcards is finding the right kernel module (or ALSA driver) that
needs to be loaded. So I wouldn't use sndconf, it's better to try to
find the right module for your card.

Are you fammiliar with re-compilling the kernel? Looking at the sound
modules in the kernel (mine is 2.4.20), I see two Crystal drivers:

- Crystal SoundFusion
- Crystal Sound

I suggest that you try with these modules.

HTH
--
Regards,
Stelian Iancu