List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] keyboard gotcha's
From:       Gene Heskett <gene_heskett () iolinc ! net>
Date:       2003-03-05 3:34:06

On Tue March 4 2003 13:35, Dick Wannamaker wrote:
>On March 3, 2003 02:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings all;
>>
>> One of the things I'm trying to fine tune in kde 3.1, is the
>> keyboard.  Specifically, even after setting the kde keyboard for
>> one of those 'internet' models with beaucoup keys, and
>> restarting X, none of the X apps can make use of the number pad
>> regardless of the state of the NumLock and its led.  ISTR this
>> worked when I was running kde-3.0.5a.
>>
>> Where do I edit, and what do I put in to make a MicroSoft (or
>> Logitek, I have both) "Internet" Keyboard as fully functional as
>> it can be for routine use?  I don't really care about the
>> so-called internet and windows buttons along the top edge, but
>> it would be nice to be able to use the numpad at least, and the
>> left and right lower windows buttons for scroll wheel modifiers
>> in the mouse configuration pages of the control center's
>> preferences.
>>
>> And it would be sorta neat if, when I hit the calculator button,
>> kcalc popped up, or the back, forward, stop and such to run
>> xmms. But thats not as important as being able to use the
>> numpad.

>> BTW, the numpad works just fine when I'm not in X.

>This intrigued me so I tried to get it to work for me; even though
> I never use the numpad. Success!
>In KDE Control Centre > Accessibility > Keyboard Layout I selected
> my keyboard model(Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro). It hadn't
> been detected correctly on installation of KDE.

The closest I have to that option is Microsoft Natural Pro.  I tried
the Logitek internet whatever, but that got weird quickly.

>I then opened kmenuedit, selected KCalc, clicked on the Current
> shortcut key button, hit the Calculator button on my keyboard,
> and clicked on Apply. Hitting the Calculator button on my
> keyboard now opens KCalc, and the numpad can be used to make
> numerical entries.
>Hope it works for you.

Thanks for the hints, I didn't know there was such a thing as
kmenuedit before.

I did manage to get it to do Kcalc from the calculator button, but
the numpad is still dead, and acts as if its triggering other
shortcuts occasionally yet.  The '5' key on the numpad causes KCalc
to  exit for instance.

What do you have set for the keyboard stuff in XF86Config?  And
conversely, is there anything in the bios settings I should check?

Interestingly, kmenuedit cannot be found in the Kmenu!  Nor does it
show up when I run KAppfinder.  So I ran it from the cli.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M