List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] mcop authentication
From:       Hans Lunsing <j.lunsing () hccnet ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-28 16:21:13

Hello,

On wednesday 26 februari 2003 18:38 Werner Joss wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 26. Februar 2003 18:08, Hans Lunsing wrote:
> >
> > I'm working with KDE 3.0.4 under XFree86 4.2 and kernel 2.4.20 in SuSE
> > 8.0.
> >
> > When I log in via KDM as user "foo" /tmp/mcop-foo is used as mcop
> > directory (mcop is the multimedia communication protocol). However,
> > when I log in on a console and start KDE with startx, mcop uses
> > /tmp/mcop-unknown, and that goes wrong if that directory's owner is
> > somebody else than foo. Does someone know how I can get mcop to use the
> > directory /tmp/mcop-foo in that second case as well?
>
> this looks strange - if you don't get any better advise: what about
> automatically cleaning up /tmp upon
> computer startup (or at least setting everything there to mode 777) ?

The problem is that the mcop_foo directory under /tmp must be owned by the
user. Read, write and execute permissions are not enough. Even set uid
owner does not work. If the owner is someone else the Alsa sound driver
gives the error message "Fatal: mcop_unknown not owned by user".

--
Kind regards,
Hans Lunsing