List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Perfect KDE system -- is there resource Kare?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-01-30 9:08:21

Imre, Nagy Jr. wrote:
> Just a question, sorry if is too lame. We administer a pretty large
> network and we are moving to shift the workstation operating systems
> to Linux and decided that we would like to use KDE as the official
> window manager of the company. Unfortunatelly some of the workstations
> are poor in resource, meaning PII-200 class PC with about 64 MB memo.
>
> So, sometimes I imagine a small KDE service that runs prior the KDE
> load and detect the processor speed and available memory, and instruct
> the KDE to switch to a proper resource-care (use less or more
> visualization effect) more. The idea: user enables menu animation, but
> if KDE detects that it has a slow processor, it switches it off. (I do
> not want user to blame the system
> or KDE for slow responsiveness) This stuff might have a name Kare,
> (Care in KDE-ish style)
>
> Any idea or response?

Sounds like a good idea, although it should be optional since maybe even
some people with slow machines want to at least try all the special
effects once. KDE shouldn't restrict their freedom.

You should send your idea to the usability mailing list (IIRC the
address is kde-usability@kde.org).

Regards,
Ingo