List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] mandrake 9.0/ internetprobs
From:       vennligst () gmx ! de
Date:       2002-12-25 1:33:22

Hi David,

thx a lot for your detailed answer, I will try to answer as well (I'm
german...)

> - As you are talking about using PPP I assume you are using a modem for
> internet access. Does Mandrake detect your modem when you go through the
> internet connection wizard? If it doesn't, does the manual internet
> configuration work - where you force the modem to be on ttyS0 - serial
> port one or something similar?

The wizard was finding my modem correctly at the serial port - it's an
56.k extern modem (acer) and it is working fine under suse 8.0 and
windoz - i was trying both configurationpossibilities (manual and wizard)

> and doesn't detect anything it usually sends you back to the beginning
> of the wizard...and again..and again....

yes, he did it several times, although he detected everything fine (the
announcement was: error - no networkcard was found... I'm a single user,
there is no networkcard at all... ;-)  ) skipping and configure
separately doesn't work right, too.

Kppp is maybe a prog by kde? I do using GNOME :-) Very nice look and feel,
I like it more than suse/kde in the meantime ;-)In GNOME it is called
only ppp - is that possible?

Something i found out this day: i was working hard on my md config
today... it's really rediculous... modem is really working FINE!

My ipconfig tells me everything is fine, too...

up: p-t-p- is running noarp multicast mtu:1500 metric 1
inet adr. is given ok, dns and remote are ok - drake online tool tells
me: we are NOT connected BUT the netcontrol window shows little traffic
*lol* without shorewall sometimes the network do what his name says:
working and: drakeconf (the control centre) shuts the connection down,
when i was clicking ok to save all... but that's maybe ok.

> KPPP is a very nice tool and you will not find its like on any other
> platform. It even has an accounting feature so you can see how much
> you've spent when you are connected to a phone line. A very useful
> feature - I don't know why others don't use it.

Yes, you are right - in KDE... I didn't found it in GNOME

> - Disable your firewall - unless it is necessary - until you have got
> your internet connection working first. Then you can start disabling
> ports etc.

I did this, but how is it possible, that the shorewall does block the
connection to port 53?! Some possiblities to configure?

> - I don't know why you are talking about DNS servers. DNS information is
> usually downloaded from the ISP when you connect. If you're connection
> is working these do not need to be set in any way.

Really? Hm... I'm getting all the time the message: can't find the host
or something like that

> If your problem is more network and setup related then go to the
> Mandrake Forum at www.mandrakeforum.com

Yes, that's what I'm doing as well

> as the KDE mailing list is not the place to discuss these matters.

I'm sorry, I won't disturb anybody

> Good luck and Merry Christmas.
>
> I'm off to get drunk now.

*lol*... thx a lot and merry x-mas as well - but it's funnier (?...)
without getting drunk, look @ all the funny people, with "nice" grinning
to their "all years-same-gifts" ties *lol*

bye!