List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: Re: [kde-linux] How to know the current desktop manager at run time ?
From:       akar <akar3d () yahoo ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-11-10 13:16:04

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:15 am, Guruhema Prasad N wrote:
> Thanks for your information. But, I am developing an application for
> that I want to know the current desktop at run time through 'C' program
> code. Can you please help me.

Well the problem with that is that there are so many ways to start a window
manager or desktop.
First you need to know what you want. Do you mean desktop manager or window
manager? A window manager is just like any other program except it draws
frames and manages windows. There is no such thing as a desktop manager but
a desktop is something like kde or gnome that incorporates a window manager
as well as many other things.

When a display (login) manager like KDM GDM or XDM opens an X session it
passes the windowmanager or desktop as a commandline argument to
etc/x11/Xsession. That way X will start either just a windowmanager such as
icewm or a whole environment in the case of startkde.

Different Distros do things in different ways but in all cases the manager
is either chosen by the user in a login manager and passed as an argument
to Xfree via Xsession or is read from a file such as Xinit or Xclients.
Examine the startx script to see the order of overide of these files and
also /etc/x11/prefdm for those distros that use it which has some info on
the $DESKTOP and $DISPLAYMANAGER variables.

Further to that all the info you need is covered in the man pages on xfree,
xinit, xdm etc, all right there in front of you...

andrew