List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Viewing XML in Konqueror (or any other Linux browser)
From:       David Reynolds <naeblis () kc ! rr ! com>
Date:       2002-11-10 16:42:22

On Sunday 10 November 2002 03:56 am, Derek Fountain proclaimed:
> On Sunday 10 November 2002 00:48, David Reynolds wrote:
> > Anyone know why Konqueror and Mozilla and Netscape 7 would all refuse to
> > interpret XML through an XSL stylesheet?
> >
> > The page in question is http://www.gaiacommunity.org/fun/mishmash.xml -
> > I'd like to know if the flaw is on my computer's settings, or the setup
> > of the XSL. It works perfectly well in IE 5.x
>
> It'll be the XSL. Konqueror would be a non starter - it's XML abilities are
> extremely limited. Mozilla should be able to do it, since Mozilla renders
> standards compliant XML through an XSL rendering engine. However, my
> experience of XSL and Mozilla tells me that if there's something - anything
> - about the XSL Mozilla doesn't like, it either ignores the stylesheet, or
> more often, crashes.

Thanks Derek. My girlfriend does XML/XSL stuff for work, but her first try
worked flawlessly on her IE machine and didn't render the style sheet at all
in any of my linux browsers. It sounds like if she brushes up on her w3c XSL
standards then Mozilla (and by extension, Netscape) will be able to deal with
it? Any idea about Macintosh? We have several users on Mac in the community,
and I don't see any hits from Opera...

> I gave up with XSL rendering in browsers on Linux. Microsoft are the only
> ones who have got it right so far.

We're discussing using server side processing to render HTML on the fly and
make it less browser-dependent. Thanks for narrowing down the problem.

David
--
Three things not good to leave:
 a ship before the wind;