List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KDM problems
From:       James Reeves <jreeves () fullcircuit ! com>
Date:       2002-10-31 18:15:31

Hello :)

Does anyone have the faintest idea of might be wrong here?

KDM doesn't seem to load up properly. It fails and X restarts, then it fails
again and X restarts again, and so on until it gets bored of the process, and
kicks me back to the console. Checking the logs I find:

Oct 31 17:55:30 sephamee kdm[492]: Greeter exited unexpectedly
Oct 31 17:55:30 sephamee kdm[492]: Abnormal helper termination, code 0, signal
11

So I'm guessing kdm_greet seems to take offense to something. Unfortunately,
that's as far as I can figure out.

I'm using KDE 3.0.4 at the moment, which I have installed from source, but
this has behaved little differently to KDE 3.0.3, which I installed from
binary rpms. I'm using a customised version of SuSE 7.3 and XFree86 4.2.0
(though XFree86 4.1.0 had the same problems).

Changing kdmrc doesn't make any difference, so it's probably not a
configuration mistake. And, strangely, this problem seems to surface at the
most illogical of times. For instance, for a brief time after installing KDE
3.0.4 (having removed all reference to 3.0.3 and the KDE 2 compatibility
layer), KDM worked (except for kdmdesktop, which crashed due to a
segmentation error). Then I installed the kdemultimedia tarball, and it was
back to KDM not working again. Similarly, KDM worked for a while in version
3.0.3, then I edited the config file, and it started crashing. Restoring the
config file back to defaults or its previous state had no effect.

I've been trying to solve this problem for quite some time, but I can't even
figure out why it would crash in the first place, let alone approach a
solution. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

--
James Reeves
http://www.arevol.co.uk