List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kde performance on S/390
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-10-09 1:01:47

On Tuesday 08 October 2002 18:55, Christopher Gombola wrote:
> Where do I start learning about tuning kde for a client/server environment?
> The environment is an IBM S/390 mainframe running SuSE Enterprise Server 7
> and kde2.  Performance is slow in bringing up kde over the network, much
> slower than bringing up a cde environment over the same network with IBM
> RS/6000 machines.  Inititlization takes a very long time.  I'm looking for
> tweaks to bypass things like keyboard and mouse drivers, audio drivers,
> anything not needed when serving up kde over a network to an exceed
> Xemulator workstation.
>
> Thank you,
> Chris

Hello Chris,

You might want to try posting to the kde-kiosk list for sysadmins. There
might be someone on it who also runs KDE on a mainframe.

Also, SuSE has got packages for KDE 3.0.1 if you want to try them.

http://www.suse.com/us/private/download/linuks/s390/update_for_7_0/index.html

Cheers,
Sean
--