List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] antialiasing or Qt styles?
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2002-10-03 20:06:44

On Thursday 03 October 2002 09:22, Donald Tournier wrote:
> Hi all.

Hello Donald,

> I am running SuSE 7.2 and XF86 4.2.0, and I've been trying to get font
> aliasing to work with the latest releases of KDE from the SuSE KDE
> server - namely KDE 3.0.3 with Qt 3.0.5. The RENDER extension is
> available on the X server, and the 'antialias fonts' option in
> 'Preferences->Look'n Feel->Styles' is ticked. Alas no antialiased fonts
> for me. That goes for the default as well as Micro$oft fonts.
>
> I decided that maybe building Qt from source would solve the issue. This
> is the configuration I used (package qt-x11-free-3.0.5.tar.bz2):
>
> ./configure -release -shared -thread -qt-gif -system-zlib -system-libpng
> -system-libjpeg -system-libmng -sm -xrender -xft -xkb -qt-imgfmt-png
> -qt-imgfmt-jpeg -qt-imgfmt-mng -stl -plugin-sql- -plugin-style-
> -no-g++-exceptions
>
> Using the home-built version of Qt, I do get font antialising (and very
> nice it is too).

I think I remember reading on the list that SuSE don't build their Qt/KDE
with anti-aliasing enabled for some reason, so you found the way to get
around this :-)

> However, I am now unable to use any of the styles for
> Qt apart from the built-in ones. They don't show up in the KDE Control
> Centre, and launching an application from the command line with
> something like 'konsole -style light' results in the message: 'The style
> light was not found'. It's supposed to be the same version of Qt as for
> the SuSE rpm's, so I don't get what's going on.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Try running qtconfig from the command line. In the 'Library Paths' tab, make
sure that there is a path pointing to the KDE plugins directory
($KDEDIR/lib/kde3/plugins by default, but SuSE might have something
different; also, use the full path name, not the KDEDIR variable).

> Thanks,
>
> Donald.

Cheers,
Sean