List:       kde-linux
Subject:    RE: [kde-linux] RedHat V7.2 KDE
From:       "Charles Marcus" <CharlesM () Media-Brokers ! com>
Date:       2002-08-03 20:52:20

James, I have always found most of your posts to be very helpful, and for
that I thanks you, but...

I must say, you are something else.  You simply cannot accept the fact that
maybe, just maybe, you were a smidgen less than right?

I have been lurking here for some time, and everytime you have done one of
your 'newbie' rants, I was tempted to speak up...

James, you *did* imply that these people were dummies.  PERIOD.  Just
because you cannot seem to admit it matters not.

> Everyone seems to think that this is about newbies.
> I don't think that it is.  I actually intended to
> address only those users that post questions -- very
> very elementary questions -- rather than read the fine
> manual first.  I think that I expect users to make
> some effort, but perhaps I am wrong in expecting that.

No, you are not wrong in expecting that - but you *are* wrong in taking it
upon yourself to play KDE-list-Cop and take everyone to task for not
'reading the fine manual' before asking their 'elementary question'.

> If they had read the manual and didn't understand it,
> then I am glad to help them.

Maybe they did, and simply didn't say so.

> The KDE HelpCenter has a lot of good information
> and this -- and the effort that people put into
> writing it -- is totally wasted if users won't take
> the time to read it.

It will *never* be totally wasted, because there will *always* be those who
will make excellent use of it, and there will *always* be those who do
*not*.

> I do believe that users that follow my suggestions
> will have a better resolution to their problems
> than those that quickly post a very simple (and often
> unclear) question.

You are right - but there will always be those who refuse to read the help,
the read-me's, etc.  If you don't wanna waste your time helping those who,
in your opinion, didn't perform 'due diligence', then that is your absolute
right, and I have no problem with that.  But you have *got* to let go of the
ego enough to simply *ignore* these posts when you see them.  As has been
said, you do *far* more damage to the acceptance of KDE, and Linux in
general, when you attack people whenever *you* think they haven't (performed
due diligence).

Please, just learn to hit the delete key without feeling obligated to try to
reform the world.  Trust me, you don't have the right demeanor for it.

Charles Marcus