List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Extremely Poor KDE performance after system
From:       Lawrence E Schapker II <larry_schapker () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-02-26 18:47:20

>> Akar Wrote:
>> Well theres your problem. Not being able to resolve
the host name will
>> ad>> d 30
>> seconds just to the kde startup and will effect all
of the kde inter
>> proc>> ess
>> communications.
>>
>> Check your etc/hosts file it should be like
attached;  If not edit it.
>> does not work then you have stuffed up badly
somewhere because a
>> newly
>> installed system should not have this sort of
misconfiguration although
>> a>>
>> badly setup cable connection can cause this sort of
misfigure as well.

Andrew,

I checked the hosts file.  It is the same as the one
you provided.  I modified the hosts file to include my
host's name (pc1) and it appears that the delay has
been corrected.

But now I have a concern.  My "network" is setup as
follows:
I have a 3Com ADSL router (provided by my telco).  It
provides the connection to the net, and DHCP services.
 My pc (pc1) uses client DHCP to retrieve an IP
address (192.168.??.?? don't remember the exact value)
from the router, but I have nothing to resolve the
address to "pc1".

I can go anywhere on the net, so I'm getting DNS
services from my provider and have only a couple PC's
on my network.

Would you recommend me in setting up a local DNS and
set DHCP on pc1 or just stop using DHCP and adding the
names to all the hosts files?

Thanks for all you help!!

Larry