List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Address list management and printing
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2002-02-03 18:00:24

On Sunday, 3. February 2002 15:22, John Hunt wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anyone give me some general advice on the following?
>
> I currently use a MS$ product (Works 4.5) to manage a home address list.
> This allows me to:
> - search for and edit addresses
> - print a filtered selection of names and addresses as a table
> - print address labels for a filtered selection of addresses
>
> What KDE or other Linux applications could I use to achieve the same?  I
> assume this is a common requirement so there should be a simple way to
> achieve it!
>
> I have already got the raw data into StarOffice spreadsheet and KSpread.
>
> I considered using Wine to run Works, but it appears to use API calls that
> are not yet implemented in Wine (as of wine-20011106).
>
> (StarOffice 5.2 comes close, but the address list database format is
> unsuitable because it assumes US addresses - UK addresses have a lot more
> lines of text in them.  If I could get Adabas working, I could design my
> own database for use with StarOffice.  Or I could run PostgreSQL and a JDBC
> layer with StarOffice or write a program in Java. But all these seem
> excessively complex.)
>
> Thanks
> ...John

John,
my advice for this type of application under linux/kde is clearly mysql in
combination with a frontend like mysqlnavigator,knoda, rekall... (look at
apps.kde.com and search for mysql) - or, as an alternative, some selfmade
php code (which is what I use...) or any of the numerous php scripts out
there - any of these solutions is much less bloated
and overkill in comparison to using staroffice.
in addition, you get a real client-server framework (as opposed to the M$
approach) which can be used/maintained in a consistent manner in a network.

werner