List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] KDE's performance
From:       Frank Baumeister <haga.chan () web ! de>
Date:       2002-01-31 13:27:03

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 15:27, Frans Englich wrote:

> No, I'm not interested in optimizing KDE's performance in that way. I want
> KDE to have good performance _without_ all the objprelink and such.
>
> In other words; Do you really think that people should be hackers to have
> decent performance?

Well, you don't have to be a hacker to compile KDE. It's almost as easy as
installing a package via RPM. The KDE developers are working hard to improve
performance (wait for KDE 3.0!) and BTW, the performance of KDE has also
something to do with gcc. As long as the gcc guys don't fix the C++ speed
problems, you (or your distributor) have to do some prelinking in order to
get faster startup times.

> Does the distributions come with QT/KDE packages
> objprelinked? That's really what matters in my opinion..

AFAIK SuSE offers objprelinked packages.

Regards
Frank

--
Registered Linux User #219373 (see http://counter.li.org)