List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] KDE's performance
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2002-01-27 21:41:39

Hi all,

Alot of people whine about KDE consuming of memory and CPU power. And it's not
only the trolls at slashdot that claim that.
This is some of the different opinions I've heard/read on this matter:

1. KDE is fancy. It got alot of features and alot of eyecandy. Who've said
that it doesn't cost performance? In any case, have you looked at Look and
feel i Kcontrol? Alot of the CPU consuming features is optional, like applet
animations.

2. Come on, it's not the 80' any longer! Memory is cheap, processor power is
cheap - why don't use the power? The most computers meat KDE's demand today.
Let's make something that actually use all the horsepower available. In other
words, it's just foolish to think that anything like a Pentium 100mhz's would
run a desktop enviroment as rich as KDE.

3. X is bloated.. It's X' fault.

4. "Have you tried KDE with objprelink? Ever done all the mumbo jumbo tweaks?
KDE will fly if you do!"

This is how I look at it:

I agree to a certain extent on paragraph 2 but it's becoming a little bit
extreme. I'm running KDE HEAD on an Thunderbird 750Mhz, 128mb, Geforce2 and
the kernel/drivers optimized for my hardware but KDE is still sluggish. I
know, it is alpha but KDE 2.2.2 wasn't much faster.

4 - Yeah, I've actually tried it. It's great. But it looks like the targeting
audience isn't those who are able to apply all the tweaks. Does the
distributions come with all the tweaks applied to KDE? Nope..

3 - In my opinion, X is quite alright. It got a huge set of features which
takes years to develope and mature. Until any of the other projects like
DirectFB got the same functionality and better performance I'll surrender.

I have absolutely no insight in KDE internals/framework nor how Qt and X work
and can thus not make a decent comment. But I would *really* like to know the
the explanation to KDE's consuming. I would also like to know the
strategy/goal that the KDE team has set up; Is there any plans on optimizing
KDE's performance? What's the policy? Is it considered an issue that KDE
consumes much resources? Is there any realistic to do about it?

Ofcourse, I'm not asking you to reply with an essay on this but if you
redirected me to an article, IRC log, mailinglist thread or whatever I would
gladly accept it. And if you got any comments on this letter they're
appreciated too.

keep up the good work,
Frans

frans.englich@telia.com