Hi all, Alot of people whine about KDE consuming of memory and CPU power. And it'= s not=20 only the trolls at slashdot that claim that. This is some of the different opinions I've heard/read on this matter: =20 1. KDE is fancy. It got alot of features and alot of eyecandy. Who've sai= d=20 that it doesn't cost performance? In any case, have you looked at Look an= d=20 feel i Kcontrol? Alot of the CPU consuming features is optional, like app= let=20 animations. 2. Come on, it's not the 80' any longer! Memory is cheap, processor power= is=20 cheap - why don't use the power? The most computers meat KDE's demand tod= ay.=20 Let's make something that actually use all the horsepower available. In o= ther=20 words, it's just foolish to think that anything like a Pentium 100mhz's w= ould=20 run a desktop enviroment as rich as KDE. 3. X is bloated.. It's X' fault. 4. "Have you tried KDE with objprelink? Ever done all the mumbo jumbo twe= aks?=20 KDE will fly if you do!" This is how I look at it: I agree to a certain extent on paragraph 2 but it's becoming a little bit= =20 extreme. I'm running KDE HEAD on an Thunderbird 750Mhz, 128mb, Geforce2 a= nd=20 the kernel/drivers optimized for my hardware but KDE is still sluggish. I= =20 know, it is alpha but KDE 2.2.2 wasn't much faster. 4 - Yeah, I've actually tried it. It's great. But it looks like the targe= ting=20 audience isn't those who are able to apply all the tweaks. Does the=20 distributions come with all the tweaks applied to KDE? Nope.. 3 - In my opinion, X is quite alright. It got a huge set of features whic= h=20 takes years to develope and mature. Until any of the other projects like=20 DirectFB got the same functionality and better performance I'll surrender= =2E=20 I have absolutely no insight in KDE internals/framework nor how Qt and X = work=20 and can thus not make a decent comment. But I would *really* like to know= the=20 the explanation to KDE's consuming. I would also like to know the=20 strategy/goal that the KDE team has set up; Is there any plans on optimiz= ing=20 KDE's performance? What's the policy? Is it considered an issue that KDE=20 consumes much resources? Is there any realistic to do about it? Ofcourse, I'm not asking you to reply with an essay on this but if you=20 redirected me to an article, IRC log, mailinglist thread or whatever I wo= uld=20 gladly accept it. And if you got any comments on this letter they're=20 appreciated too. keep up the good work, Frans frans.englich@telia.com =20 =20 ___________________________________________________ This message is from the kde-linux mailing list. Account management: http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-linux. Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.