List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kdm, XFCom_i810 and xdm-authorization
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2002-01-24 20:07:35

On Thursday 24 January 2002 17:38, Stephen Berman wrote:
> Werner Joss <werner@hoernerfranzracing.de> writes:
> > no clue about the Xserver problem (evtl. try adding localhost to
> > /etc/X0.hosts ?) - but as for users to shutdown the computer from
>
> There is no file /etc/XO.hosts in SuSE 7.0....

you can create it, if it's not there

> > xdm, there is a simple solution: just enable the user 'halt' in
> > /etc/passwd - remove the asterisk '*' from the password field which
> > disables the user - then you will have a user 'halt' without
>
> There is no user 'halt' in /etc/passwd, nor any field marked with
> '*'.  Does this mean I'd have to add this user?

user halt should be there - if not, you can create this user, with root
permissions, set the shell for this user to /sbin/halt

> > password which will just bring down the machine upon login.
>
>                                                        ^^^^^
> I hope that's a typo! (I want to shutdown on logout.)

it is not a typo, I assumed you would like to have a possibility to shutdown
the machine from xdm without having to login as root first
werner