List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] ac97 sound
From:       Alistair Carr <alcarr1 () bigpond ! com>
Date:       2001-12-29 7:56:25

On 26 Dec David Reynolds wrote;
As far as HardDrake is concerned, it calls my sound card "VIA Technologies
VT82C686 (Apollo Super AC97/Audio)". A possible problem seems to be under
Other Devices (?), where three other "VIA Technologies" devices are listed.
Unknown device ID 11060305, Unknown device ID 11060305 again, and another
copy of what's listed under soundcard, except it's labeled "Apollo Super
ACPI".

What the heck happened here? I'm not yet clear how much was screwed up by the
guy who installed this for me, and how much is inherent Linux difficulties.
          I assume that if you are using harddrake you are on a Mandrake
version of some sort.I had AC97 sound problems with LM 8.0 ,as one of the
updates broke Arts.A subsequent patch fixed this.So it might be worth running
MandrakeUpdate to get the latest fixes.Select security, bugfixes and normal
updates.
Those unknown devices are probably the via bridges(north and south) or usb
interfaces.I have a Via Apollo pro 133 mobo with Mandrake 8.1 ,and under
bridge it lists 4 devices one of which is the via technologies vt82c686 (
Apollo super acpi).Try mandrake expert ( http://www.mandrakeexpert.com )for
more help.Just set up an account and ask your question of the mandrake
community.
 Also as in my previous mail have a look at Via's new Linux page at
http://www.viaarena.com. Don't forget to send those device ids to
harddrake@mandrakesoft.com along with the relevant output from /proc/bus* so
they can improve hardware detection. Also make sure kudzu and harddrake are
set to run at boot (in Mandrake control centre ,services).You could also
check your bios and try turning on or off the plug and play os option. My
/etc/modules.conf lists the soundcard as
<alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio>, although I normally have this disabled
as I use a pci Soundblaster card. It is also worth checking duplex etc is
unchecked in sound server,kde control panel.
Also I had a problem with games not running sound until I discovered the time
out setting.If I waited for the autosuspend to operate,game sound worked,but
if I ran the game before autosuspend kicked in the game either froze or ran
with no sound.So I reduced the autosuspend timeout to 30 sec to reduce the
wait. Another thing to check is the volume settings in kmix or aumix as these
are often set to zero by default(easy to overlook).

Hope this helps, Alistair.