List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Telnet
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2001-12-16 12:57:57

On Saturday 15 December 2001 19:14, Jude Joseph wrote:
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I do not know what an rpm is or how to install it.

rpm's are binary packages for easy software installation - redhat invented
them and uses them extensively - so you should first read the related man
page (man rpm).
of course there are also gui frontends for rpm, such as gnorpm (for gnome) or
kpackage (for kde) - try what you have installed.
in the end, you will have to locate the telnet-server rpm on your install cd
(usually /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS) and do a 'rpm -ivh telnet-serverxxx.rpm'
from there.

> I know how to go to
> /etc/securetty but do not know what you mean by "add the remote pseudo
> terminals
>
> >there."

/etc/securetty will only have to be adjusted if you plan to login as root to
your target machine.
you will have to add lines like 'pts/0','pts/1' etc. - these are the
'terminals' used for remote login via LAN.
HTH
werner

an additional comment to all others who proposed ssh:
of course ssh is more secure - but this should not be of much concern in a
small LAN - the advantage of telnet is the fact that it is available by
default on any client - even M$ boxes...