List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] kdm root login fails
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2001-12-03 17:03:22

On Monday 03 December 2001 13:59, Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Sunday 02 Dec 2001 18:41, Werner Joss wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > currently, I experience problems logging in to my system via kdm as root:
> > I enter my password, but some seconds later, I get 'login failed' message
> > - no login (and,yes, my password is OK - it works with gdm, xdm and on
> > console, normal user login via kdm is also ok).
> > I can see no error logs in /var/log/messages etc.
> > my configuration is:
> > redhat 7.2, qt 2.3.1, kde 2.2.2 compiled from source (stable tree).
> > Is there any known issue with kdm, pam etc ?
>
> I had this exact problem for some time. The problem is that /etc/pam.d/kde
> is wrong, it contains an extra line. Removed the first line so that it
> looks the same as the file for gdm. The root login from kdm should then
> work. It's a brilliant security system isn't it, absolutely no error
> message is issued? ;-) HTH
> -Robin.

Congratulations, Robin, thanks !
that solved the problem - there is a line :

auth       required	/lib/security/pam_securetty.so

in /etc/pam.d/kde which obviously prevents root login from kdm -
no error messages anywhere.
I wonder where this file is being setup, I had installed the system without
kde at all (pure gnome) and compiled qt/kde from source.
Thanks also to all others who replied to this issue.

werner