List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Gcc-2.96 segfaults compiling KDE 2.2.1
From:       Rod Roark <rod () sunsetsystems ! com>
Date:       2001-09-30 4:20:52

On Saturday 29 September 2001 08:56 pm, akar wrote:
> On Sunday 30 September 2001 13:13, Rod Roark wrote:
> > OK I did it.  I downgraded to gcc-2.96-81 which is 7.1's original
> > gcc. I then compiled qt (2.3.1), kdelibs and kdebase.  The latter
> > two produced one segfault each, and each then finished after
> > typing "make" again.  The resulting binaries are working.
>
> This is strange; Are you saying that it segfaulted but just typing
> make again let it build? So it built successfully the second time?

Yes, there were two different types of failures: the ones that
were "random" and could just be restarted, and the ones that
repeatedly failed in the same place when you restart make.  I
experienced them both with gcc-2.96-85, and (so far) just the
first with gcc-2.96-81.

> Usually every time you run make it would stop at the same place
> again unless you use -k option in which case it would go on.

I never used -k.

> > It's hard to know if lots of folks are experiencing this.  Many
> > might just restart the build and then never complain because, in
> > the end, it works.
>
> I dont think so. Most users (on this list at least) are totally
> stuck at a make failure. Most dont know about '-k' and the few who
> get past make failures do so by editing the makefile to bypass the
> faulty module.

Well we are both doing some guessing here.  But again, knowing
about -k is not needed to get past what I saw.

> The most error prone part of a kde compile is arts; while knotify is
> not really part of arts it *has* had some sort of reworking and
> seems it may be at the root of some other 2.2.1 faults so I am not
> at all surprised that your problems were in this area.

That's very interesting.

> Despit never having had any problem with gcc 2.96 myself, I agree
> with and got a good laugh out of your conclusions.  It does seem to
> take a certain amount of unmitigated arrogance for them to presume
> they know better than the people who wrote the damn thing!!
>
> Anyhow, you're up and running, so Good Luck!

Thanks!  May gcc be kind to you.  :-)

-- Rod