List:       kde-linux
Subject:    [kde-linux] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gcc-2.96_segfaults_compiling_KDE_2.2.1?=
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rod_Roark?=" <rod () sunsetsystems ! com>
Date:       2001-09-29 5:50:15

Is anyone besides me having trouble compiling KDE 2.2.1
with Red Hat 7.1's gcc-2.96-85?  I'm getting random
segfaults, typically 1 or 2 of them per make.

This is an Athlon system with an Asus K7V133 mainboard.
Using reiserfs and Linux 2.4.10 (had the same problem
also with 2.4.6).

Initially I was fearing a hardware problem, but
egcs 1.1.2 compiles the whole mess without incident
(except the resulting binaries won't run, probably
because of conflicts with dependencies that were
compiled with the other compiler).  Also I have no
problem with gcc compiling other things, such as the
Linux kernel.  Qt 2.3.1 also compiled nicely.

I have tried various optimization levels (-O0, -O,
-O2 and -O3) as well as -march 1386, i686 and athlon.
None of these fixes the problem.  I can get through
it all by just restarting make when it crashes, but
that doesn't lend much confidence in the result....

So again, has anyone else seen this?  Any ideas??

-- Rod