List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] OT: Digital Interference on Terrorists
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-09-14 3:40:30

On Wednesday 12 September 2001 10:09, akar wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:53, RA wrote:
> > > No he is not kidding. ...
> >
> > I asked for the pink paper story!
>
> I should clarify *I DID NOT MEAN MISSILES* I said jet-plane "missiles" with
> missile in inverted commas to signify how the jets were used, not realising
> that people could misinterpret it.
>
> And I am not kidding; We were watching it as it happened and two separate
> reporters tried to read out the pink papers which started with a message
> about the twin-trade towers. I presume the papers were packed in cargo or
> in the buildings. This was not office stationery :-(

Andrew, I'm not sure what you saw on Australian television.
I can say with utter conviction that we here have had live video of the
event, and videotape of the actual event, taken at Ground Zero, and it has
not been digitally blurred... not one bit.  There wasn't any pink paper in
evidence. (I'm not saying there wasn't any there, just that if there was,
most of it was in the hands of that reporter, because it wasn't on the ground
or in the air, or in the hands of any other reporter on the five cable news
channels I was monitoring)  What DID rain down over much of southern
Manhattan island were business plans, curriculae vitae, office memos, and
similar items... but mostly, a fine ash-like powder of pulverized concrete.

> We did get some news before they realised what was going on that they may
> not have reported over there. When just the first tower was hit, they were
> concerned about an unauthorised jet in the area. This was identified later
> as US Military so the Govt clearly had warning something was about to
> happen to have it already in the air.
>
> I am sorry to say that the rumour over here with the last jet was that it
> was taken out by the military after altering flight plans. They would not
> show the actual wreckage at that stage only that the smoking remains in the
> bush from a distance. I suppose that supports the claim because a terrorist
> would have waited for a better target than a paddock, but possibly the
> original pilot caused it to happen rather than be used as a weapon.

The last jet was not shot down.  It apparently crashed as the passengers
tried to recapture it. One of the passengers spoke to his wife on a cell
phone, and the plane was already in the hands of the terrorists. The
passenger's wife informed him of the WTC collisions.  He called back and
stated that he knew he was going to die, and "three of us are going to do
something about it."  The hijackers on these planes actually encouraged the
initial phone calls. They evidently wanted it known that these were not
accidents. If their timing had been slightly better then they might have
planted all four planes on their targets.

> As I am typing this I am listening to a mother whose son rang her from the
> the last jet. You will notice when you hear it that the audio is fine until
> she says something important then it stutters so you cant understand what
> she says. Another common digital technique. All that comes through is that
> he was distracted a few moments before comms were cut off. She said there
> was no passenger shouts etc so the distraction was no doubt the arrival of
> the cavalry.

The normal "Rules of Engagement" in the case of a hijacking have been to sit
back and do nothing.  In every case in the past, if you did not provoke the
hijackers then you would most likely simply wind up in another destination.
The rules have changed.

The passengers in the first two flights had no way of knowing that these
would be suicide missions, so did not do anything about it.  The third plane
(the one that hit the Pentagon) contained among the passengers a Fox News
commentator who spoke to her husband twice prior to the crash.  They only
learned of the WTC collisions moments before they hit the Pentagon.  Only in
the fourth plane did the passengers have both the knowledge and the time to
do something about their situation.  From their point of view they may have
won a Pyrrhic victory, but their heroism saved the White House, or possibly
the Capitol.  I would like to think that if I were on board I'd have made the
same trade.

No one is untouched in this tragedy. My mother is a New Yorker. One of my
closest friends has very likely lost his uncle in the Pentagon collision: his
office was located almost exactly at the point of impact, and he has not been
heard from since.  But as personal and horrific as these incidents are, we
will not act based on speculation, fear, or ignorance. We will gather the
facts, get the RIGHT people, and coldly and calmly FUCK THEM UP.  Along the
way we will identify the people that harbor them, and those that support
them, and we will fuck THEM up, too.  Historically, the staunchest allies of
America have been her former enemies; Japan, Germany, Britain... I pray that
there are enough of these terrorists left when we are done that the same may
be true of them.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org