List:       kde-linux
Subject:    Re: [kde-linux] Connecting to WinME
From:       Dave Leigh <dave.leigh () cratchit ! org>
Date:       2001-09-09 18:08:30

On Saturday 08 September 2001 20:09, Brett I.Holcomb wrote:
> Thinking about it - will ME connect to a domain - I don't think it will.  I
> remember a lot of flack that we gave MS during the beta (although I can't
> remember if it was the ME or XP home beta but I'm sure it's ME - when it's
> all trash it just fades into one big nightmare <G>).  As we pointed out to
> them - MS bills ME as a replacement plus upgrade to Win98SE - naahhhhh!!!!.
> There were serveral items left out of Win ME that were in 98SE and I belive
> they felt you didn't need to connect to a domain.  They maintained this was
> a feature so shut up because Bill and his boys know better.

Well, this is cute... I tried hooking it up to a working all-MS network (NT
and 98), and it doesn't do that, either. It won't connect to an NT domain,
and won't connect to a Workgroup.  You can SEE other machines, but can't
connect to them. Not hardware, either... I replaced the NIC with a pretty
generic 3Com.

So the problem doesn't have anything to do with Linux at all, and I'm taking
it to another list for resolution.  IF I get it resolved I'll let you know
what the f*** they've done to networking to break it.  Again.

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

--
dave.leigh@cratchit.org
http://www.cratchit.org

You feel a whole lot more like you do now than you did when you used to.