List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: RMS,Debian and KDE
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-06-21 12:20:37

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Steve Hutton wrote:

> > > The removed packages are xfmix, xmysql and xldlas
> > >
> > > http://www.uk.debian.org/Bugs/db/39/39521.html
> > > http://www.uk.debian.org/Bugs/db/39/39522.html
> > > http://www.uk.debian.org/Bugs/db/39/39524.html
> >
> > Has anyone considered waging a campaign to force either
> > the authors of these packages or the authors of XForms to
> > change their license?
>
> I'm sure the authors of these packages have been informed about
> the problem and have been asked to consider changing their
> license.  Other packages in the same situation have changed
> licenses and remained in Debian.

So far so good.

> Why is it so hard for you to accept that we are being consistent?

This rule about when to exclude packages from Debian seems to be
applied consistantly.  However, the lack of LGPL'd KDE code in
Debian seems to indicate there is more to the issue than rules about
licensing.

> > A good place to start might be a prominantly placed editorial
> > on freshmeat or slashdot.  If  enough anger could be drummed
> > up against them, surely they would eventually cave in.
> >
> > Steve
>
> You may choose to believe that some Debian developers are
> persecuting KDE.  I have presented evidence that we are not
> singling out KDE on this issue.  Flame wars that spill over to
> freshmeat or slashdot are a different issue.

I wasn't alluding to flamewars that spill over - but rather editorials
like the one Joseph Carter published to freshmeat.  I haven't seen
a similar public opinion campaign against xforms.

Steve