List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Debian FUD and whining
From:       "Darren O. Benham" <gecko () benham ! net>
Date:       2000-06-19 15:48:25

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 03:32:26PM -0500, mosfet wrote:
> Actually Joe's backtracking quite a bit here and I feel being
> misleading. Debian has always insisted that *no* KDE code can use an
> unmodified GPL, even stuff we totally wrote ourselves. It's not so they
> can "tell what KDE has permission to use and what they don't" - they
> have argued strongly (but incorrectly) that *all* KDE code needs a
> license change in order to be legal.

Actually, in all the discussions *I've* had on the subject...

Debian has insisted that no Third Party GPL'd code be used without the
author's permission.  At one point, I was going though the code to verify to
the rest of the project that no such third party code existed (or in what
parts they existed).  I stopped only because it became virtually
uncompilable for me (considering the amount of free time I had and the
problems I had in trying and the lack of assistance I could find).

--=20
* Debian:                             Software in the Public Interest:  *
*   Project Secretary                   Treasurer                       *
*   Webmaster Team                                                      *
*   BTS Team                          siteROCK:                         *
*   Lintian Team                        Linux Infrastructure Engineer   *