List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Debian FUD and whining
From:       Steve Hutton <shutton () mediaone ! net>
Date:       2000-06-18 17:05:18

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Joseph Carter wrote:

> > > You completely ignore the very blatant and obvious case of kghostscript
> > > which was not written by KDE and therefore KDE has absolutely no right
> > > whatsoever to relicense.  I've come to expect ignoring the obvious from
> > > you, so welcome to my killfile.
> >
> > Ummm...he wrote two paragraphs about it that you snipped from your follow-up.
> > How can you "completely ignore" something and write two paragraphs about it
> > a the same time?
>
> His two paragraphs essentially dismiss the argument against kghostview as
> one Debian people never make (which is funny considering that I did make
> it this morning when asked for a concrete example..)  He's also one of the
> people who has insisted from the beginning that KDE has ZERO CONFLICTS
> with its licenses.  I prove otherwise in a single example it gets
> disregarded.  Perhaps "disregard" would have been a better word than
> "ignore".  I did read the message.

But "disregard" != "ignore" != "completely ignore".  In fact, I would say
he did none of those things:

<QUOTE>
The second issue is if we can use KGhostview in kdeutils. This includes
code copyrighted by a third party. Ironically, this may be a legit
complaint but it's never what Debian people complain about because it's
only one application and makes it much less of an issue to leverage
against the KDE project :(
</QUOTE>

To characterize this statement as "completely ignoring" KGhostview is ludicrous.
To say it "disregards" it without even quoting or reponding to what he wrote is
misleading as best.

Steve