List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE tries to silence editorial's author
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-06-18 11:33:34

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 12:50:28PM +0200, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > This is how KDE deals with their license conflict these days.  They
> > threaten to sue anyone who dares challenge them.  I will not be silenced.
>
> I rather think this some reaction of one developer which is as frustrated
> as you are, that these things have *still* not been solved. I don't think
> it was meant as threat.

It was written as one.  And I'm not intimidated in the slightest.  The
problems in KDE are real.  I've proven them at least once.  I could do it
again and again if I have to.  The question is simple:  Does KDE fix it or
not?

The answer so far is that KDE doesn't care.  If there's ever a lawsuit
over this license mess, KDE will lose.  And that means a lot more than KDE
loses.  I've done everything short of making long distance fone calls to
track down authors of obscure bits of code written by people no longer
active and later incorporated by KDE to straighten it out.

At this point, it's up to KDE to fix it.  I will not, however, stop
showing people the problem.  If KDE ever decides they DO care, they can
fix the problem and I won't have anything to show people.  No it's not
trivial to fix.  No, it's not impossible to fix. I've had my share of
trying to help KDE - look what it's gotten me!  KDE still has broken
licenses and to this day I still get flames for even trying to help, from
supporters and opposition alike!

* boren tosses matlab across the room and hopes it breaks into a number
  aproaching infinite peices