List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Liscencing Issue - Taking Action
From:       forge <forge () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2000-06-14 2:43:31

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Unfortunately this is equally true the other way around, by interpreting the
> GPL from a strict legal point of view and ignoring its political message and
> intentions, KDE is undermining its very own foundation because KDE happens to
> use (L)GPL for large parts of its own foundation.

1.  The GPL was written with competent legal advise.  Therefore the
"strict
legal point of view" is the only one that matters.

2.  Nobody is claiming that the QPL is not free software.  Both ESR and
RMS
and ESR agree.

The only thing in question at the moment is legal semantics.

> I'm very sure that KDE never had the intention to be the messenger of the
> gospel of GPL but through a cruel play of faith, it seems that KDE is very
> much stuck with the GPL. So maybe it has become time for KDE to accept that
> and to work together with the political organisations behind the GPL.

KDE is stuck with the GPL.  It's just as easy to switch to the Artistic
license or some other free license as it is to switch to a modified GPL.
In short we are stuck with the GPL, not the GPL plus extra clause.

> Actually I think that the QPL has been the result of exactly that from what I
> understand. In that light it is remarkable that all this is still an issue.
> Either the parties involved in making the QPL parted too early or the
> political organisations behind the GPL failed to make their point. Whatever
> it was this hasn't helped the trust in this fragile marriage.

Troll tech didn't like the idea of being in the middle of a war between
people they consider friends and colleagues.  They didn't like the
attempt
to undermine QT with an LGPL licensed clone.  They also didn't like
being
flamed by everybody.

They formed the "KDE Free Qt Foundation" and latter wrote the QPL.
There
were many changes to the license before it got to it's current state.  I
was there, it was much fun/work.