List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Licensing Issue - Taking Action
From:       Don Sanders <don () sanders ! org>
Date:       2000-06-10 15:40:52

> excuse me...but (and yes I am a hare-brained debian person)...my company
> won't allow me to use kde because of the licensing issues...yes, it may be
> implied...but unless it's in a written format it don't mean shit to our
> lawyers...and therefore if it's something they can't be 100% sure won't
> bite them on the ass (not that this ever will) they won't allow it.

If you really want to use KDE and are worried about the legal accusations
(which I personally believe have no merit) then I suggest you investigate
compiling KDE from source. There seems to be general agreement that GPLed
apps can be compiled and linked to QT in private, as the GPL "respects your
privacy".

Personally I am honestly surprised that your lawyers let your company use
free software at all. I am surprised because the GPL contains obvious (to a
copyright lawyer) legal drafting errors that are just as serious as those KDE
has been accused of. (For instance the GPL does not correctly grant the
licensee the right to use the software, search for the licensing comment I
posted on the kmail list for more info).

Finally the correct forum for this discussion is kde-licensing.

BFN,
Don.