Raul Miller wrote: > > > > Let me ask you a "straightforward" question: if you dissolve sugar in > > > water, can you make the sugar boil? > > > > > > [Seems to me that while you can make the sugar water boil, the sugar > > > itself does not. There might be some rather exceptional conditions > > > where you could make sugar boil, but they have very little to do with > > > the conditions where sugar water boils.] > > > > > > Similarly, the program, which includes the library, has to be license > > > under the GPL while the library -- considered as an entity unto itself -- > > > does not. > > > > > > If this doesn't make sense to you then I'd say that your question is, > > > in fact, not at all straightforward. > > [ ... ] > > On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 05:31:19PM -0500, Andreas Pour wrote: > > I have concluded that you don't understand the relevant principles of > > copyright law. > > Please be specific. Which principles are you refering to? > > What is specific point of law on which we disagree? > The part where you stated: > So: the complete source code has to be licensed under the GPL, but > some of the individual elements of it do not. Also, from various statements I can't bother to cull together, I don't think you understand what a copyright in a collective work consists of, or what it applies to and what it does not apply to. Ciao, Andreas