List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE not in Debian?
From:       Raul Miller <moth () debian ! org>
Date:       2000-02-02 16:15:04

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 10:20:01AM -0500, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Which would be what?

Unless you're concerned about some specific issue, I'd have to recommend
that you read the GPL.

> > You seem to be overlooking the part where the GPL states that the separately
> > licensed software can be distributed under the original license without any
> > of the GPLed protections as long it's being distributed by itself.
>
> No, I am not overlooking that.  But isn't it you who seems not to tire of reminding
> me that the provision of Section 2 to which you refer does not apply if you actually
> distribute the other work together with the GPL'd code?, which Debian does with X.

Er.. for most provisions of Section 2, it's not "if ... with" but "when ... without".

However, if you're talking about the exception which lets GPLed software
be distributed to run on proprietary operating systems, then yes, that
might be me.  [Where you have to link with a proprietary libc, or whatever.]

But that particular exception doesn't make any sense in this context:  X is not an
operating system, and it's not proprietary.

--
Raul