List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: KDE2.0 license change
From:       Joseph Carter <knghtbrd () tank ! debian ! net>
Date:       2000-01-10 20:55:54

On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 11:27:21AM -0800, David Johnson wrote:

I'm at school now and cannot give this the attention it deserves, sorry.
Will reply again at a later point in time with more detail.

> > I hope I've explained things for you.  More importantly, I hope I've
> > explained them correctly.  ;>  More importantly still, I hope Troll Tech
> > is perhaps more amenable to making the QPL compatible with the GPL.  I'd
> > like to use Qt for some tools game tools I'm working on as part of my
> > efforts with the QuakeForge project and Id's stuff is of course all GPL'd.
>
> If you need Qt for your project, why not use an "exception" clause?

I don't own the IP rights to a good portion of the code, Id Software does.
As a result it has to be compatible with the GPL or I can't use it.  I
won't violate the GPL and I won't infringe Id's Copyrights after John
Carmack was so nice to give us the source to Quake under the GPL.

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

* cesarb wonders if in less than a week Carmack will end up receiving in
  e-mail a courtesy copy of a version of the Quake source which is four
  times faster than what went out of his virtual hands...