List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: New QPL online
From:       "Sergey I. Panov" <sipan () mit ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-13 19:12:39

Andreas Pour,

> If you are worried about 6(c), I am 100% confident that the KDE people do not
> mind showing their source code to TT.  And I don't see how doing so conflicts
> with the GPL license on some KDE code.

 Yes, but GPL does not prevent you to modify/extend software for you
personal/corporate use, and does not infringe on your privacy.

 Just imagine the following situation. Some US company takes one of
the KDE programms and extends it by adding strong encryption of their
own design for their internal use. According to Qt license, they have
to provide source code of their encryption code to TT. It is not only
against the stupid US anti-encryption law, but it is also infringes on
that company internal corparate secrets and security. Yes, they can
acquire commercial version of Qt(and it is probably fare), but that
that contradicts to the GPL licence of the original KDE program they
have modified.

  Sergey