List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: A more serious QPL-1.0 problem
From:       Jeremy Blosser <jblosser () firinn ! org>
Date:       1999-03-12 21:02:18

Adam J. Richter [adam@yggdrasil.com] wrote:
> >> = Adam J. Richter <adam@yggdrasil.com>
> >  = Jeremy Blosser <jblosser@firinn.org>

> >>       This is a further restriction to the GPL, since the GPL does
> >> not require such a permission grant, and it is illegal to publish
> >> modifications to QPL'ed software without making such a grant.
> >
> >It is not illegal to publish modifications to QPL'ed software without
> >making such a grant.
>
> 	It is illegal for the practical purpose of distributing a useful
> derivative work.  Per section 4 and 4c of the QPL, the machine-executable
> modified work can only be distributed if the modifications are QPL'ed:

While I agree that 4c is not at all desirable, I wouldn't agree that one
has to be able to distribute binary versions of a derivative work for it to
be useful.  You are still free to make a modification, license it under the
GPL, and distribute the source.

But yes, 4c really ought to be changed.  Troll wants it the way it is,
though, last I knew, so I'm not optimistic about it. -sigh-

--
Jeremy Blosser   |   jblosser@firinn.org   |   http://jblosser.firinn.org/