List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: A more serious QPL-1.0 problem
From:       "Adam J. Richter" <adam () yggdrasil ! com>
Date:       1999-03-12 19:52:15

>  = Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>
>> = Adam J. Richter <adam@yggdrasil.com>
>>       I think a more serious GPL incompatibility of QPL-1.0 is
>> QPL section 3b (my emphasis added):
>>       This is a further restriction to the GPL, since the GPL does
>> not require such a permission grant, and it is illegal to publish
>> modifications to QPL'ed software without making such a grant.
[...]

>Take a look at section 1 of the GPL:
>
>    1. You may copy and distribute VERBATIM copies  [...]

	Section 1 does not apply, because we are talking about
a modified work, not a verbatim copies.

[...]
>If the program is also being distributed under some other, additional,
>license the GPL already requires that it be distributed under that
>license.

	I don't know what you mean by this.  To reduce double
negatives, could you please rephrase it without using the term
"license" (i.e., phrase it in terms of restrictions and permissions),
and quote the section of the GPL you are referring to?

Adam J. Richter     __     ______________   4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 104
adam@yggdrasil.com     \ /                  San Jose, California 95129-1034
+1 408 261-6630         | g g d r a s i l   United States of America
fax +1 408 261-6631      "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."