List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: New QPL online
From:       Eirik Eng <eiriken () troll ! no>
Date:       1999-03-09 15:20:05

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> The scenario where the issue arises is this:
>
> Suppose A writes program P and releases it under the GPL plus the
> special exception of "permission to link with Qt".  Then B downloads P
> and has permission to use it under the terms of the GNU GPL.  This
> includes permission to make and run a modified version P' without ever
> releasing it.
>
> When B links P' with Qt, the Qt conditions say he cannot do what the
> terms for P say he can do.  In other words, the QPL requirements
> contradict the permissions given for P by releasing it under the GPL.

I see what you mean, but this is actually not the case.  Please note that
6c only applies when the program is distributed, i.e. released. B can
freely make and run a modified version P' without ever releasing it and
still be in compliance with the QPL.

> The reason why I designed the GPL to permit people to make and run
> their own private modified versions is to respect privacy.  It is
> unacceptably intrusive to force people to publish all their modified
> versions.  Perhaps there are some special cases where such a
> requirement would be legitimate, but to apply it across the board is
> surely wrong.

I agree completely.

You can freely make and run private modified versions and not violate the
QPL. 6c was put in there to avoid closed distribution of "free" programs.

> There also seems to be a contradiction between 6a and the GPL:
>
>     a. You must ensure that all recipients of machine-executable forms of
>     these items are also able to receive and use the complete
>     machine-readable source code to the items without any charge
>     beyond the costs of data transfer.
>
> This is similar in spirit to a requirement in the GPL, but it sets a
> stricter limit on the fee, and thus takes away some of the permission
> that the GPL gives.

Note the "are able to". As long as it is available on the net you can e.g
charge as much as you want for the CD version.

I hope this clears up this issue.

Kind regards,

    Eirik Eng
    -----
--
    eiriken@troll.no                                      Fax: +47 22806380
    Troll Tech AS, Waldemar Thranes gt. 98, N-0175 Oslo, Norway