List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: New QPL online
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1999-03-08 7:08:57

Richard Stallman wrote:

> The reason why I designed the GPL to permit people to make and run
> their own private modified versions is to respect privacy.  It is
> unacceptably intrusive to force people to publish all their modified
> versions.  Perhaps there are some special cases where such a
> requirement would be legitimate, but to apply it across the board is
> surely wrong.

On closer inspection I see that section 6c is not incompatible
because it is governed by section 6.

6. You may develop application programs, reusable components and other
   software items that link with the original or modified versions of
the
   Software.  These items, when distributed, are subject to the
following
   requirements:           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The marked phrase is the crucial part.  Basically if it's not
distributed
Then it's not in violation.  If it's GPLed and it's distributed without
source then it is in violation of the GPL.

     c. If the items are not available to the general public, and the
        initial developer of the Software requests a copy of the items,
        then you must supply one.

A Program can be widely distributed and not be available to the general
public.  I.e. Supose I modify a GPLed app and make it a program which
is sold only to Medical Doctors but without source, I would be in
violation of the GPL.  This seams to be the line drawn by QPL too.

BTW : I see a real threat that people will want to bend the GPL in
new and innovative ways.  Not to make profit from selling GPLed apps
but rather to annoy the FSF and other users and programers of free
software.