List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Your petition to GPL Qt
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-12-24 2:07:36

Joseph Carter wrote:

> But unix is an old/dead platform as far as the market is concerned.
> Linux is considered to be based on UNIX technology, but nobody marketting
> Linux really connects it with UNIX and for a good reason.  Linux is what
> matters now and in that case Debain and Redhat are more than 60% of the
> market combined--the two biggest in terms of users.

Common American mistake.  Using US figures as international.
Actualy S.u.S.E is the best in Europe and TorboLinux owns Asia.

> Then I turned to the GPL compatibility issue.  It's getting ever closer
> and I am still convinced, perhaps more now than ever that it is in fact
> possible and I still maintain that it is in Troll Tech's interests as
> much as Debian's.  GPL compatibility means more software which can use Qt
> right now and that Qt will be able to be used more without controversy
> over whether or not it's legal to do so.  This is also a win for the KDE
> project.

Let's see how it goes.  The flamewar will live on but as long as there
is no _valid_ bases it will simply serve as encoragment ( like the
VI/Emacs )

> And of course, widespread acceptance of Qt using programs means more
> people will want to use Qt's widget set for their proprietary software
> which is where Troll Tech gets paid.  It's an ingenious business model
> and I'm glad to see Troll Tech moving toward it.

Moving towards it ?  This modle was immediately obvious the 1st time I
read the original QT license over a year ago.