List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [rms@gnu.org: Re: can normal programs be LGPL'ed?]
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () unl ! edu ! ar>
Date:       1998-12-10 11:39:22

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Avus wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > Restricting KDE from Windows would be foolish. If Koffice on windows becomes
> > a convenient free office suite then since Windows 2000 is expesnive to
> > upgrade too and koffice is also available on Linux/FreeBSD/etc so which OS
>
> One question: There are several KDE developers with Professional Qt
> licenses out there. Would it be possible, to write e.g. the koffice apps
> in a relatively 'Windows-compatible' way (of course they still run on
> Unix). Would it then be possible to have some 'QTpro developer' (say
> Kalle) do some fine-tuning and release the binaries for Windows?

Well, KOffice uses CORBA heavily, or rather Openparts. This would involve
porting openparts to COM or KOffice to OLE <shudder>

And I am not real sure about how much of kdelibs is unix-specific, too.

> Or do *all* developers have to have a professional license, not just
> those who do the port to Windows?

From my reading, those who actually code under windows.

> If not, perhaps KDE e.V. could buy the licenses and offer the Windows
> binaries.
>
> Of course I don't know if porting kdelibs is a feasible task for a small
> number of developers.
>
> Just an idea...
>
> Avus

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.