List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Proposed QPL mods - 3rd try
From:       Warwick Allison <warwick () troll ! no>
Date:       1998-12-01 21:08:22

Joseph Carter wrote:
>[QPL has] nothing in it not found in the GPL other than Troll Tech's
>desire to stay in business and of course nobody minds that.  In fact, the
>GPL fanatics out there should be HAPPY with the QPL because the only people
>it's not free to are those writing non-free software.  Let them pay for
>using Qt, the QPL lets us do everything it lets them do--just that we have
>to do it with Free Software.

In all this discussion, remember that "we" can each be both free
software developers *AND* proprietary software developers.  The GNU
Manifesto suggests that eventually we should all be paid through
government hand-outs, but until then, the people and companies that
purchase Qt Professional Edition licenses (even if only for the support
services that provides) are the ones paying for Qt development.  Many
people programming under the Qt Professional Edition licenses at work
also write free software at home or in other contracts.  These people
are, in more ways than most, "paying their own way" in the free
software community.

>> saying goes, "You get what you pay for."
>
>In the end the best we can do is provide our opinions.

And we appreciate them.  Thanks.

--
Warwick
`find $QTDIR -name *.*[ph] | xargs cat`