List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [rms@gnu.org: Re: can normal programs be LGPL'ed?]
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-12-01 16:59:33

> Are the Open Source guide lines and DFSG so divergent?  I mean, we've
> been told that Qt is already Open Source, I personally assumed it was

Even if you were told so its clearly not. Thats been demonstrated. Such
things matter to some people, although hopefully the final license version
fioes the relevant small glitches.

> KDE uses the Qt API.  Now where's the problem with that?  The problem
> seems to be that the GPL refuses to understand the concept of APIs.  I
> think this is one of things people mean when they say the GPL's
> concept of "derived work" is foobar.

Build a kde app, run it objdump it. Its full of Qt code.
Any more questions ?

The GPL doesnt care about API's it cares about derivative works.