List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: ANNOUNCE: Open Source license for Qt
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-11-20 10:02:01

Joseph Carter (knghtbrd@debian.org) spake thusly:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 1998 at 04:57:18PM +0100, Matthias Ettrich wrote:
> > >And unlike the old license I'd have no moral problems granting such a
> > >licensing tweak to my GPL gui tools at all
> >
> > Yes, many developers, including the KDE team, have a better feeling now. We
> > are really looking forward to good teamwork in a sort of re-united community.
>
> I think most everyone is very pleased (and a lot of us surprised as hell) by
> the results..  It took either a lot of guts, a lot of despiration, or both
> to make their main product OpenSource, and still try to sell it commercially
> and then publishing the license in draft form and ask for people's feedback.
>
> Shocked, amazed, surprised, and pleased.  Not bad for an instant reaction
> eh?

  Note that if you write an application with Qt Free Edition that
application's source must be freely available. I don't see that Trolltech
will lose much revenue over this, whereas they will, of course, get a lot
of good publicity within the free software community. I'd say it took a lot
of sense, and I congratulate them for it :)

--
	Jo

Harmony - the project to create an LGPL Qt clone
http://harmony.ruhr.de