List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Eye of the Tiger
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-11-18 14:13:24

> > Its a very good early draft. It certainly appears to be philosophically
> > GPL equivalent. It doesn't solve the "commercial apps pay to use qt" issue,
> > nor for that matter would I expect Troll Tech to "resolve" that one 8). I
> > guess commercial people can pay troll or fund Harmony 8)
>
>   Well, that rather assumes that Harmony continues to exist. I for one
> can't see much reason to continue developing Harmony now that Qt is
> open source. The only thing Harmony does that Qt 2.0 doesn't is
> anti-aliased Truetype support, and I can write a patch to put that in Qt
> now :)

Providing your patch doesnt include libttf, which is something very unclear
in the license draft and with very import bearings

   b. The patch must be explicitly licensed by the following clauses
     without additional restriction:

this has two problems

1.	Does the "patch" include other files it is linked with. Eg does
	a ttf patch implicitly include libttf. Where is the boundary,
	object file, symbol name, source file, library

2.	The patc becomes usable by anyone for any purpose, so your neat
	true type hack (minus Qt) appears in the next windows nt
	is this good ?

It would be nice for troll to clarify  item #1 and if there is a simple
way to fix #2. I assume #2 really means "Troll want to use your patches
an dsell them in the commercial edition, thats the trade off for you being
allowed to modify it. Oh and we will keep your name on the credits"