List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: GPL Nightmare?
From:       Christian Esken <c.esken () cww ! de>
Date:       1998-08-21 19:48:42

On Fre, 21 Aug 1998 Alan Cox wrote:
>> He asked about apps based on Qt. The app is not Qt. Since Qt is not part
>> of the app, and it isn't derived work from the app, where is the problem?
>
>If Qt dies the app becomes unusable (but see below)

QT is only a library, but we are talking applications. If you want to go
down the whole software stack, you must have everything GPL'ed.

Just assume your SCSI Bios is faulty and your application won't run.
Can I now conclude the following:
As the above scenario is possible, I am not allowed to build GPL'ed or
OpenSource programs on any "proprietary" platform. Am I right?

So I have to wait until the GNU Bios is there, the GNU HD-Firmware,
the GNU SCSI-Bios, the GNU-VideoCard-Bios and not to forget
the GNU processor Microcode?

You simply cannot go down the software "hierachie" all that way -
and at least OpenSource does not speak about it.

  Christian

--
Christian Esken               (esken@kde.org)
The K Desktop Environment     (http://www.kde.org)