List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Gimp, Gnome, Gtk, KDE, Qt...
From:       Jo Dillon <emily () thelonious ! new ! ox ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1998-07-17 18:17:33

> I've heard descriptions that Harmony will be very hard or impossible to
> get done due to having to use verifiable Clean Room techniques.

  Well, it's about a quarter of the size of Qt at present and coming along
quite well. I think that getting Harmony done will be a hell of a lot
easier than moving KDE to gtk (I mean, there's about 10 times as much
KDE as Qt code). If you really want to switch widget sets, help us out
on Harmony. Moving all of KDE to gtk-- would mean much more work, and
would also lose you some flexibility - it's a wrapper rounda C toolkit
so it's harder to inherit functionality.

> 3) It'll give us instant look/feel compatability with GNOME: If a use
> picks the KDE look and feel (via themes), GNOME will take it on since the
> theme configurations will be the same!

  Harmony  has themeing support written for it, which we aim to keep
compatible with Gnome. For that matter Qt will support themes in 2.0 as
well.

> Regardless, I have heard several KDE people say that once KDE was version
> 1 then we (the KDE people) would start working on shifting the Toolkit to
> something new.
>
> I like the idea of Harmony, but I don't think it'll pan out *safely*
> (meaning legally string free) in a reasonable amount of time.  Plus it
> might earn us the animosity of Troll Tech, our current Toolkit provider.

  I don't see how Harmony can arouse animosity against KDE. We're not
connected with KDE in any sense, we're an independent project. As for
legally string free...we're clean-room. We're no more likely to be sued than,
say, Lesstif or Gnustep.

	Jo