List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Gimp, Gnome, Gtk, KDE, Qt...
From:       The Doctor What <docwhat () gerf ! org>
Date:       1998-07-16 16:56:55

So... Now that KDE is 1.0; will it be moving to another ToolKit?

I've heard descriptions that Harmony will be very hard or impossible to
get done due to having to use verifiable Clean Room techniques.

However, we have full source control over KDE, so we should be able to
move it to something else.

GTK-- is a good choice for three reasons that I can see:
1) Development is very active: Adding the features we need/want to make
KDE great will be fairly easy.
2) GTK (and therefor eventually GKT--) will have theme support, so our
widgets can look like they look under QT (or even better... :) plus
they'll be customizable.
3) It'll give us instant look/feel compatability with GNOME: If a use
picks the KDE look and feel (via themes), GNOME will take it on since the
theme configurations will be the same!

Regardless, I have heard several KDE people say that once KDE was version
1 then we (the KDE people) would start working on shifting the Toolkit to
something new.

I like the idea of Harmony, but I don't think it'll pan out *safely*
(meaning legally string free) in a reasonable amount of time.  Plus it
might earn us the animosity of Troll Tech, our current Toolkit provider.

Ciao!
docwhat@gerf.org

PS: And of course, this would settle the various GNOME/KDE flamewars once
and for all.  Plus it'll make us look good to boot. :)