List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Gimp, Gnome, Gtk, KDE, Qt...
From:       Alan Cox <alan () cymru ! net>
Date:       1998-07-16 14:21:51

> Some corps might also have managers who complain that they want the
> toolkit they choose to be "commercially supported" like QT is.  Linux now
> gives commercial developers several good tookit choices.  What's the big
> deal about this?  Linux is about choice.

Granted. But if you have a single master desktop that is successful you
force people to use that item or suffer. The problem is you are potentially
holding the key to the desktop environment, adding a price to it and handing
it to Troll Tech right now. Thats why a free qt is the perfect world, when
people then say "We looked a linux but there is no good support for the
toolkits" you can point them at troll and say "there is great support if you
pay for it" , without there being a solid wall if you dont.

> feel (because they were written without MFC).  For example, Lotus Notes has not
> been shunned from corporate desktops just because it uses "twisty-arrows" in
> it's tree control instead of the ubiquitous MS folder icons and plus signs.

You said it yourself - inconsistencies like Motif/KDE/Gnome/Xaw cost
desktop seats

Alan