List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: Gimp, Gnome, Gtk, KDE, Qt...
From:       Gael Duval <duval () criuc ! unicaen ! fr>
Date:       1998-05-14 19:31:28

Jo Dillon wrote:

> Gtk's written in C, but written in an OO way. That's preferable for
> the large number of people who don't like C++. Gtk isn't like Motif;
> it has the same signal/slot ideas as Qt, except you don't need a
> preprocessor.

Yes ? In this case, I'm afraid U need to use a lot of crapy callbacks
and (void*) casts...

I'd like to have the advice of the KDE hackers about this point.

> As for crashes; well, I've heard nasty things about KDE
> stability on Solaris, and I've not seen Gimp crash.

really ? 8-O

> It depends on
> environment, library compatibilities and so forth.

I saw it crashing running on Irix, DEC and... Linux (both Slackware with
libc5, and RH with glibc).

>And gtk only
> recently hit 1.0. And I don't see that Qt's monetary freeness is any
> kind of advantage over gtk, which is both free in the monetary sense
> and the open-source sense.

Yes - I didn't mentionned it as an advantage. I would just like that the
Qt License does not appear as a disavantadge....

	GD.