List:       kde-licensing
Subject:    Re: [kde] Re: The KDE Free Qt Foundation
From:       Kevin Forge <forgeltd () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-04-09 5:10:11

fractture wrote:

> >"Over Troll Tech's dead body".  Literally, since the BSD license only
> >kicks in if Troll Tech goes belly up, gets bought or otherwise messes
> >with the status quo.

> >>         [Jorge]  What's the point then ? If KDE becomes the de-facto
> >> standard interface for Linux then I'll have to pay TT to develop commercial
> >> SW for Linux!!!!!!! What sense does this make ? At least you can develop
> >> applications for Windows without paying Microsoft.
> >>
> >You do however have to pay SOMEBODY.  Onless you are using GCC in which
> >case you culd use the same tools in Linux for free.
> Actually, there are several ways to make Windows apps without paying
> an arm and leg, wich is what Qt costs.  Many do cost something, but
> not much.

It's a free world and an open desktop.  Use another tool.  I haven't
herd anyone berating all those developers with more expensive tools
than QT.  The simple fact is cheap software is defined as anything
below the cost of a mid range PC.  I.e. at $ 1,200 QT is $ 300 under
the limit to be called cheap software.
There is one question you continue to not mention.  How dose Troll
Tech profit if you can develop commercial software for free ?
One way would be to charge a tiny price for the developers lib then
charge another fee for each copy of software you sell.  Or they
could just go with a Motif still schema and charge users directly.
The simple fact is anything less would make QT into DonateWare
( that is software which is free to all users but the authors
address is listed in case you want to send him some money ).  There
is to my knowledge no successful company that operates on this
method.  many programers have tried but have discovered that the
nature of man is such that he will not pay for that which he can
have for free.
Am I concerned about Troll Tech ?  Not really,  but I can't see the
point of asking for something unreasonable.

> >>         You continue with a license like this and KDE will never be the
> >> standard interface Linux. No matter how pretty and functional KDE is.
> >>
> >Where exactly is your conscience ?  You my friend are in the same moral
> >situation as a slave owner.  Why ?
> Jeesh.....shut the fuck up.  With the extreme price of Qt, noone will be
> creating sharware or cheapware for KDE, period.

And this is a loss ?
BTW : Mind your language there are several young children who read this
   list.

>  >Troll Tech has done lots of
> work to create QT.  They ask only that >you pay them IF you are developing
> commercial software.
>  Yeah, if your rich then that is something you can do.  I
> don't think I will ever have 1200 I can pay to them to be able to
> release any software I even want to charge a little for.  And no, I
> don't think it is selfish to ask a few $$ if I need the money.

Then release the source code of your software and make it donateware.
That way you don't have to pay Troll Tech and you operate on the same
business model you are asking them to use.

>    You however
> >would want to use QT to develop software for your own selfish reasons
> >and SELL it to others without source code or the rights to modify
> >or redistribute.  Then NOT pay Troll tech for the part of the work
> >they did ?
> >You are probably a reincarnation of Any Palmer ( AKA the White Witch
> >of Rose Hall )
> Most people who resort to name calling, never had a valid point to
> begin with.

Yep, and I am the exception that proves the rule.
--
A computer without Windows 95 and Internet Explorer is like
a piece of chocolate cake without Catsup and Mustard.